Friday, October 10, 2008

Tips for students.

If there are any students coming across my blog, here are my tips for learning English:

1.No one word answers. Answer questions with complete sentences. Example: Do you like Shopping? Yes, I like shopping. No, I don't like shopping.

2.Repeat all you have heard when doing grammar exercises.e.g. Teacher says: Yesterday, I (go) to work. Student says: Yesterday, I went to work.

3.When learning words, think of its meaning, usage (adjective, verb, noun) and sound. Don't make one sentence with a word. Make two or more.

4.It is okay to say I don't understand. Don't pretend you understand when you don't.

5.No Chinese. Use your English to learn more English. Don't ask other students for a translation. Don't give another student a translation. Use English.

6.Use your imagination.

7.Learn the words opposite, past, present , future.

8.Listen to the other students. Speak to the other students using English. Practice your English with your colleagues and other students everyday. Listening is so important you must practice it all the time. Good listening helps you improve your vocabulary, grammar and fluency.

9.If the teacheris doing all the talking, then the class is going badly.

10.When doing grammar, show you know the grammar. don't worry if what you say is true.

11.If you don't know a word. Use the best words you know to explain. e.g. Bird is a fly animal

12.You can learn from your mistakes. It is okay to ask "Can I say_______________?"

13.If you don't know a word, listen to the teacher explain it first.

No comments: