Friday, April 6, 2012

ESL Discussion Questions about Wishes and Wishing

Wishes

What are they?

Wants, desires, longings, greeting, biddings, requests, 

What do the following sentences mean?
I wish to travel.
I wish the problem was settled.
I wish him ill.
I wished him a good morning.
I wish you could come to my party.
I wouldn't wish Cancer on anyone.
When you wish upon a star.  (What are some other things you can wish on?)
You may go if you wish.
He wishes more than he works.

When do we make wishes?  (When we blow out the candles of a birthday cake, etc.)
Where do we make wishes? (fountains)
What can we make wishes with?  (magic bottles with genies inside)
What are you wishing for now?
Do you have a wish for today?
What are some wishes you have had fulfilled?  What wishes have you had come true?
You are given three wishes.  What would you wish for?
Do you have a wish list?  Have students make a wish list with five items on it.
Who can grant wishes?
What do students wish for?
What do men wish for?
What do women wish for?
What do children wish for? 
What wishes did you have as a child?
What do parents wish for?
What do grandparents wish for?
Would your life be better if all your wishes were granted immediately?
What do you wish for others?
What is a silly thing to wish for?
Have you ever wished harm on someone?
Do you wish you change the past?  What would you change in your past and history?
What is better?  To have your wishes granted by someone else or to get what you want by working for it?

Idioms and Expressions using wish
I wish you were here.
Don't you wish!
He has a death wish.
Don't you wish you said that.
If wishes were horses.
I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
Be careful what you wish for.

No comments: