Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The students don't like talking about baking. They will talk about traffic.

Having done Speakers' Corners, I now have a wealth of resources I can use when I run out of ideas for what to talk about in them. But I do like to come up with fresh ideas to get the students talking. An idea I had last week which I tried last night was to talk about baking and using ovens. The students weren't interested. None of they had an oven in their homes. They may buy baked goods from shops but they don't think of baking as being a healthy way of eating.

So, I instead talked about traffic, making sure to give the students some choices because I asked the students about what kind of drivers and cyclists they were in traffic. Some admitted to being very aggressive.

No comments: