Thursday, June 13, 2013

Words that begin with the letters "Ex"

Ex Words

What does the prefix Ex mean?

ex-
a prefix meaning "out of," "from," and hence "utterly," "thoroughly," 

Also: "Former" Ex-wife, Ex-president


Can the students think of a word beginning with 'ex' that means out of or out from? Exit.

Can the students think of words beginning with 'ex' that mean utterly or thoroughly? Extreme.

Can the students think of ex (as in former things) in their lives?
I have an ex-____________ I am an ex___________.

What does he is my 'ex' mean?
Are you a ex or former something? I am the former mayor of Wuxi.

Very Simple. Get the students to list ten or fifteen words that start with Ex.

Here are some words that I can think of: Excellent, Exit, Exceptional, Extreme, Exhume, Exhaust, Exhilarate, Exhibition, Exotic, Example, Exalt, Excuse, Exam.

Talk about the words and see where the conversations lead....

What is the most commonly used word beginning with 'ex' in the English language? Example.

Four letter words starting with 'Ex'? Exit
Five letter words? Exalt, Exist
Six letter words? Exhume, Excite, expand
Seven letter words? Extreme, Excited
Eight letter words? Existent Exciting
Nine letter words? Excellent, Existence

Expressions using 'ex' words.

I will now do an exit stage left.

I hope I have expanded your horizons.

No comments: